Whether you’re in town for a day or here studying all year, taking a ride on a bike can generate many positive outcomes. A few of the benefits include:
- Getting “rock star” parking. With over 17 bike hubs on campus and downtown, and bike racks outside nearly every campus building, you’ll essentially be within a short walking distance of your destination.
- Giving your brain and mood a boost. Studies show biking can sharpen your memory, improve concentration, create more fluid thinking, and enhance problem-solving ability and your brain capacity. A quick pedal can also elevate your mood, relieve anxiety, increase stress resistance, and even banish the blues.
- Saving money. With the bike share, car share, and Tiger Transit, you can easily make your way around Auburn without a car; saving you driving miles, gas, and the cost of parking permit. Even if you do have your car here, you can still save the cost of gas and wear and tear on your vehicle by hopping on a bike to get to your destination.
- Protecting the planet. Anytime you can power your transportation needs without fossil fuels, you’re preventing pollution from climate changing gases and compounds that harm the quality of the air we breathe. Plus, you’re minimizing the impact from extracting and processing the fossil fuels, minimizing water pollution from fluids leaking, lowering noise pollution, and helping Auburn reach it’s 2050 climate neutrality goal, to name just a few of the positive environmental impacts!
- Improving your overall health. Cycling provides a low-impact workout that helps improve the functioning of your cardiovascular system, while also benefiting your muscles, bones, and joints.